We are in peak club riding season. In July a lot of riders out for the weekly rides. Sweetwater Bikes hosted a gnarly gravel ride north of Kittanning. President Jim led a hardy crew over Mt Davis and back. Dave Kasperik and Jim Logan did engage in a bit of Trail Bingo, riding the Redbank Trail there-and-back between East Brady and Brooksville. They discovered Brooksville has a dandy downtown just a block away from the trailhead. Check out all the regional rides in August and particularly September as noted – Pedal the Lakes, TOSRV, NEOC, and more!
Two Celebrations the Last Weekend in July
The Pittsburgh Randonneurs are celebrating De’Anna Caligiuri’s completion of the Trans Am Bike Race Saturday, July 30th at 4 PM at Voodoo Brewery.
Trek of Robinson is celebrating Paul Kopko’s 600th shop ride on Sunday July 31st. The ride starts at 9:30 AM, and they will have “Food, Refreshments, and Fun after the ride.” If you have ever ridden Paul’s shop rides, please come out to show your appreciation to Paul!
The bulk of our published rides are the weekly group and shop rides. Club members actually do ride on weekends – they tend to organize weekend rides informally among people they know for the weekly rides. And they don’t tell President Jim, for fear he will leak their ride details to you.
- Monday – [email protected] MAD Monday Weekly Ride
- Tuesday – Team Decaf – Rides out of Pittsburgh’s East End. Publishes route in advance. Breaks into several groups.
- Tuesday – Cecil Ride – Is for fast and experienced club riders that like hills. Routes are published in advance.
- Thursday – Sweetwater Bikes Thursday Road Rides
- Sunday – Trek of Robinson Shop Ride
What is on our calendar:
- Sunday August 21 – Rough Diamond Century. The route is aspirational, about the possibility of having trails from the Point up the Allegheny River, along the Kiskiminetas River, out to Murrysville and reach the Monongahela River via the Turtle Creek water gap to return to the Point. Read about this ride HERE.
- Watch out for a monthly weekend gravel ride from SweetWater Bikes. Last month they posted “RidePAGravel: Whiskey Rebellion Ride“
- President Jim is off to London-Edinburgh-London. Expect some posts from him. Also, the club website won’t be maintained for 2 weeks.
Other Rides of Interest:
- Saturday August 6 – Mountain Mama.
- Friday August 19 – CINDYSTOCK 19 – Hope on Wheels – Bike Ride
- Saturday August 27 – McLain Farm Gravel “MFG”
- Sunday August 28 – Pedal PGH
- Saturday September 3 – Pedal the Lakes. Pedal the Lakes is a bicycle tour beginning in Greenville,PA. It has multiple distances for all abilities and visits msny of northwestern Pennsylvania’s and Ohio’s waterways and lakes.
- Saturday September 10 – Club Fall Picnic – Cecil Park, Cecil PA. We will have self-directed routes of perhaps 25 and 40 miles, with a club provided picnic lunch afterwards.
- September 18 – NEOC – Northeast Ohio Century.
- Sunday September 11 – Scenic Schuylkill Century
- September 24-25 – Tour of the Scioto River Valley (TOSRV) – The grand-daddy of multi-day mass bicycling events.
- September 24 – 2022 Tour de Trail: Berlin, PA to Flight 93
- Saturday October 22 – Pittsburgh Dirty Dozen 2022
Ride with Us!
Western Pennsylvania Bicycle Club (Wheelmen)
See our ride calendar HERE
Contact the club HERE
Join the club HERE