- Weekly rides returning to the calendar
- Spring Kickoff – Saturday April 29
- The Pittsburgh Randonneurs are riding a 200 km in April
- Celebrate Trails Day
- “This is the way” – The one and only way to join the club
- How to post rides on the club calendar – From March 2022
Weekly Rides are Returning to the Calendar
Rides that have returned to the calendar so far:
- Team Decaf (club ride) – Team Decaf rides in the city on Tuesday evening. They generally have a faster group and slower group. They are starting their season on Tuesday April 4.
- Sweetwater Wikes Thursday Road Rides (club ride) – This is a friendly weekly ride that typically breaks into a couple of groups.
- Trek of Robinson – Sunday morning shop ride (not a club ride)- has started riding weekly.
- Trek of Cranberry Township – Tuesday evening shop ride (not a club ride) – IN North Park. This ride is for people that want to ride modest distances and stay in the park.
Rides that will show up as the season progresses:
- Cecil ride – They ride out of Cecil Township in the South Hills. This group is for fast and experienced recreational cyclists that also like hills.
- Women@Work – “The mission of this club is to embrace and provide a comfortable space for women and men (if they chose) who share the same passion and respect for the sport to be educated. In this process meet others who share your love for the sport. My goal is for each trainee to become a safe, competent and confident cyclist.” Paraphrasing a tad, Women@Work is a safe space to learn to be a club cyclist, especially for women.
- Sweetwater Bikes gravel rides. These are rides on gravel. They perhaps too will have a faster group and a lower group. Gravel Ride starts April 23rd. See HERE.
Spring Kickoff – Saturday April 29th
For our 2023 club Spring Kickoff we are meeting at the McDonald Station trailhead on the Panhandle Trail. The basic plan is that people ride west (toward Western Virginia), turn around at some point. When passing through Burgettstown, turn right on N Main St. to arrive at the Walden’s @ 1709 Main Family Restaurant. We don’t have reservations or such for the restaurant. Clump up for tables, and act friendly with other club members. The Spring Kickoff is on our calendar HERE.
Pittsburgh Randonneurs – 200 km in April
It’s spring, and weekly rides are returning to the calendar. The Pittsburgh Randonneurs started our season with two of 100 km’s in March, and on their calendar they have a 200 km on Saturday, April 15. Click through to the 200 km HERE.
Celebrate Trails Day
Our club is hosting a table at this event on Saturday. Feel free to keep President Jim company. Note that Unison Bike Lab is adjacent to the Sly Fox Brewery. I suspect our message will be that we enjoy rides of all distances on the trails, but as a road club we like some longer distance rides.
Celebrate Trails Day is a FREE event which includes:
– A 10-15 mile bike ride along the Three Rivers Heritage Trail and the Great Allegheny Passage
– Bike maintenance talks, tips, and inspections
– POGO Bikeshare demos + test rides
– Food + refreshments
– Music + giveaways
– An opportunity to learn more about the Great American Rail-Trail, which will extend 3700+ miles between Washington DC and Washington State, Including Pittsburgh.
“This is the Way” – The One and Only Way to Join or Renew your Club Membership
A reminder that the one and only way to join the Western PA Bicycle Club is to join on our website at: https://wpabikeclub.com/
- Paid members 129
- Participants in this “members-only” Facebook group: 700
- Participants in our google email group: 488
Getting the automatic email from Facebook on joining the Facebook group DOES NOT make you a member.
Annual membership is $20. Three years for $60. Which is a steal right now. For that $20, $12 goes to the ride liability insurance that protects YOU as well as all club members and the club if something bad happens, and the $12 also includes the excess medical accident insurance that protects YOU as a club member. Plus you get a lunch at the annual Fall Picnic.
How to Post Rides on the Club Calendar
In March 2022 we posted how club members can post club rides that they lead. Click HERE to read how. If you think the instructions need any updates, let us know.